Moncton, NB – The books closed Saturday on the 2018 edition of Fish Canada Workboat Canada, which ran January 26-27 at the Moncton Coliseum. This year’s show welcomed a record 6,659 visitors from throughout Atlantic Canada, Quebec and Maine. With hundreds of exhibitors and expanded floor space, by all counts, this was the biggest event in the show’s history.
“This year marks a huge success for Fish Canada Workboat Canada,” said Shawn Murphy, Show Manager. “Our 2016 event was the largest in a decade, and I’m so pleased that we’ve exceeded those numbers for 2018. Many thanks go out to everyone involved, including our partners and sponsors, for their hard work in making this year a huge achievement.”
Exhibitors were thrilled with the results of the show:
- “After attending the show, it’s impressive to see companies coming from around the world. The show was bigger than ever and the attendance was strong. Keep up the good work!” said Gilles Theriault, A.F. Theriault.
- “Fish Canada Workboat Canada was excellent… a great success for us!” said Stéphane.P. Gray, DJ Marine Fishing Supplies Ltée.
- “Lots of quality folks through the door and an amazing amount of exhibitors,” said George E. Hickey, North Atlantic Marine Supplies & Services Inc.
- “This was one of the most exciting shows for our company in the commercial fishing industry… the environment is second to none!” said Lee Toole, Stright-Mackay.
- “One of the best marine shows we’ve exhibited in. It was a great way to show new technology to the local marine market and spend some quality time with our customers,” said Brian Sibley, Mackay Marine Canada.
- “Excellent turnout for this trade show! Our booth was a great success and we look forward to Yarmouth next year,” said Ashley Wallis, Genrep Ltd.
- “This trade show provided us with an avenue to show fisherman first-hand our prototype plastic lobster trap,” said Scott Dauphinee, The Lobster Trap Company. “We were overwhelmed with the amazing response and feedback from all who attended!”
Attendees were eager to check out new and innovative commercial fisheries, aquaculture and fish processing products, as well as a wide range of marine equipment and watercraft of all sizes. Visitors also enjoyed getting an up-close look at a newly completed 45’ vessel right on the show floor provided by DJ Marine and Samson Enterprises.
On Friday, as part of its 10th anniversary celebrations, the Atlantic Canada Marine Industries Hall of Fame honoured three new inductees during the show. The Honourable Rick Doucet, Minister of Aquaculture and Fisheries, presented the awards. The 2018 recipients were Egbert Boertien (Mariner); Russel Jacob (Processor); and Roger Sark (Builder). Sadly, 86-year-old Boertien passed away on January 2, 2018, shortly upon hearing of this special honour. His two sons were proudly on hand to accept the award on his behalf.
Full bios of the inductees can be found on the show’s website.
We would also like to take the time to congratulate our door prize winners:
Shawn Boudreau (Arichat, NS) – Sea Eco + immersion suit by Hansen Protection provided by DSS Marine.
Brian White (Orwell Cove, PE) – Chelsea Evolution shell jacket provided by Helly Hansen Leisure Canada.
Petrina Hebert (Kouchibouguac, NB) – RIGID RDS-Series PRO light bar provided by Stright-Mackay Ltd.
Cedric Richard (Wellington, PE) – Set of Series 0174 Underwater Lights provided by Mermaid Marine Products.
Kara Hebert (Aldouane, NB) – Apple iPad Wi-fi 32 GB Tablet provided by Mac Mac & Mac Lawyers.
Dany King (Moncton, NB) – Insulated Fish Box Model #1801 provided by Bonar Plastics.
The next commercial marine show to sweep the Atlantic provinces will be the North Atlantic Fish & Workboat Show, taking place November 16-17, 2018 at the Mile One Centre in St. John’s, Newfoundland. For more information on that event, visit www.NAFISH.ca.
Fish Canada Workboat Canada will return in January 2020. Stay tuned to www.FCWC.ca, which will be updated as details become available.
Shawn Murphy, Show Manager
Master Promotions Ltd.
Kate Stilwell, Marketing & Operations Manager
Master Promotions Ltd.